Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Psalm 55: 6: And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove!
For then would I fly away, and be at rest.


How often have I wished for something to make a tough
situation better? How many times have I blamed my stress,
or my poor treatment of another, on things out of my
control? Countless times. So, what would Jesus do? I don't
think he spent a lot of time trying to escape difficult
situations, or wishing for things (like wings) to make life
easier. Jesus knew he had all he needed.

Wouldn't it be nice to fly away and be at rest? Wouldn't it be
magical to find a pair of wings that could carry us to Jesus'
side so that we could feel that true sense of peace? Imagine
floating away from all of the noise in our life. That noise
might be loud sounds--say from having children in the
house. That noise might be what we create to escape life in
some way--our way of creating wings. Unfortunately, those
wings don't take us to that place of peace and love we long
for.

In this time of Lent, how is Jesus calling you to be at rest?
There are many paths to get there. Each one is unique to us.
As I think of the wonderful variety of people, cultures and
backgrounds represented by our special congregation at St.
Barnabas', the variety of paths to rest in Jesus are abundant.
What's your path to resting with Jesus going to be today?


Psalm 55; Lamentations 2:1-9, 14-17; 
2 Corinthians 1:23-2:11; Mark 12:1-11

These Lenten meditations were written by the people
of St. Barnabas' for the people of St. Barnabas' as part
of our recognition of the 50th anniversary of the founding
of this church. We hope that you will find them helpful
in your own Lenten devotions.