Monday, July 13, 2009

News from General Convention

On Sunday morning as we chatted after services, I was told by a member of our mission team to say hello to Bishop Frade (formerly of the Diocese of Honduras). I thought to myself, "Sure--in the midst of those thousands of people at General Convention." T o my surprise, I greeted him shortly after my arrival in Anaheim and in a few more hours he was initiating a conversation of some length about Honduras, grieving for the current hardship in that beleaguered country and remembering the mission teams of both Annandale and Baltimore. Then there was my former colleague reporting that he regularly hears news from Annandale by way of Mareea Wilson in the Anti-Racism Committee. It is a small church after all.

Here is just a taste of the family reunion aspect of the General Convention. Repeatedly I have reconnected with people with whome I have shared ministry through the years. It has been gratifying to see a young generation of church leaders finding their place in the councils of our church. The Rev. Michael Pipkin, Priest-in-Charge of the continuing congregation of The Falls Church in our region, was a speaker on the opening day as the director of the public narrative process we are using in our work about mission. A number of recent graduates of the Virginia Theological Seminary keep appearing.

In these first days, my role has been that of listening--observing hearings and legislative sessions, worshiping with our brothers and sisters, engaging in dialogue with many. I was honored to distribute communion on the second day and, as first alternate deputy for Virginia, will sit on the floor of convention for the first time on Sunday afternoon. Stay tuned in the days ahead as I reflect on the ongoing life of General Convention.

Pray for us as we pray for you.

Yours in Christ,
Linda Wofford Hawkins

No comments: