Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Why I Teach


by Debra Gustin

I grew up in a household of learning. My father has been a leader in the educational system and we were encouraged to question and comment on everything! It is no wonder that I ended up as a teacher. I have taught over twenty years and have worked with children from first to sixth grades. 

But teaching is not confined to a school. I have also been a DCE (Director of Christian Education), taught every level of Sunday school, led bible studies, acolytes, youth groups and children choirs. It was not my degrees that gave me the training for these. 

It was my faith and my commitment to the Christian community to which I belonged. From ancient times teaching has been a respected profession. The word rabbi, the leader of the synagogue, means teacher. 

A teacher is someone who guides, who listens, and continues to learn themselves. My most profound learning experiences have been at the hands of children. If you look in the mirror and do not see a teacher, look again! There is a teacher in all of us and what better place to explore that than right here at church. 

Be brave. Be daring. 

Teach!