Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Reflections #1


Christmas is a time of joy and happiness, of believing in a future of hope and love.  But, somehow this Christmas season is falling short.  One of the young amongst us actually told me that she is getting less in the Christmas spirit the closer it gets to Christmas.  That is a sad state of affairs.  So, today in this last day of Advent, I am committing myself to remembering the true meaning of the season.

Yes, that is a cliché, but I have to say it this year.  With all that has occurred and is occurring right now, I have to make that extra effort to embrace joy and hope.  There are families in Newtown, Connecticut where Christmas presents will be unopened, Christmas dresses and suits will be unworn, chairs will be empty at Christmas dinner and innocent and joyful faces will not grace Christmas services.

For us, we will not see such pain and suffering.  Although, we must grieve and feel the pain of the loss, we are blessed with joy, love, family, happiness and Christ at this Christmas time.  We should talk about this loss to help us cope with its evilness.

One of St. Barnabas’ former seminarians is now at St. James Parish in Farmington, Connecticut (40 miles from Newtown) and shared his sermon following the Newton tragedy with us.  You can read it at this link. As Rev. George Roberts states in this sermon and as Rev. Linda has reminded us, we must take strength from knowing that our God loves us so much that he sent his only Son to die on a cross.

That, is what Christmas is.  Celebrating the love of God, the Hope he gave to us, knowing that He will give us the strength to face crisis.  In this very short last week of Advent, I am committed to setting aside those worldly pressures and demands that deplete my energy and sap my hopefulness.  I will rejoice in the birth of God’s son.  I will sing the praises of His grace.  I will seek and receive God’s love.  Lastly, I wish all people a blessed, safe, festive, joyous and loving Christmas.  Joy to the World.

by Jennifer Lefere