Tuesday, February 28, 2012

In our life journey there are many paths. Some lead us in
wrong directions, saying, “Try us, we are fun, we are easy.”
On the other hand, the path of faith is often difficult. Joseph
probably wondered where God was when he was thrown
into the deep pit by his jealous brothers. Jesus asks
fishermen to follow him on a journey that will lead to
hardship, fear and death. Jesus doesn’t ask Peter, Andrew,
James and John if they believe or have faith. He just says,
“Follow Me.”

Paul writes that we should not follow the wisdom of men
but the power of God. God’s power was with Joseph in that
deep pit and with the disciples on their perilous journey. His
power is with us on our path. He knows sometimes we don’t
believe or have faith. He knows we will stumble and fall. He
is right beside us to raise us up.

Our journey with Jesus begins with acknowledging we have
no power on our own. I knew I could not live after my long
illness without the help of Jesus. It just was not possible. It
came to me that Jesus had gone through far more pain and
suffering than I and so could relate what I was going
through. I just asked Him to help me remember that He was
there beside me. I was not alone. Not one of us is alone with
the power of God beside us.


Psalm 45; Genesis 37:12-24; 1 Corinthians 1:20-31; Mark 1:14-28

These Lenten meditations were written by the people
of St. Barnabas' for the people of St. Barnabas' as part
of our recognition of the 50th anniversary of the founding
of this church. We hope that you will find them helpful
in your own Lenten devotions.