Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Psalm 119:57: You are my portion, O Lord; I have promised
to obey your words.

With joy, the poet claims God as his portion and his
inheritance. David had often seen prey hunted and divided
up. This passage could be the voice of David, rejoicing as
one who has seized his part, his “portion” of the treasure.
Jesus said, “If a man love me, he will keep my words.” In
dedicating himself to the word of God instead of worldly
things, David resolves to keep and store up God’s words, a
heritage that outlasts all others.

As I walk through my spiritual journey, I often address God,
Jesus and the Holy Spirit. When I was adopting my
daughter, praying helped me to cope while I waited for the
bureaucracy to grind towards a resolution. I prayed for
strength, for my child’s health and safety, and for the Spirit
to move the hearts and minds of those with the power to
complete the adoption process. I was so overjoyed the day I
met my daughter and held her for the first time. Just as we
treasure the ones we love and claim them as our own, we
can claim God as our portion, promise to keep his words,
and continue to search for understanding and grace.


Psalm 119:49-72; Genesis 37:25-36; 1 Corinthians 2:1-13; Mark 1:29-45

These Lenten meditations were written by the people
of St. Barnabas' for the people of St. Barnabas' as part
of our recognition of the 50th anniversary of the founding
of this church. We hope that you will find them helpful
in your own Lenten devotions.