Friday, March 16, 2012

Psalm 88:14: Why, Lord, do you reject me and hide your
face from me?

Ever heard of the term “drama queen”? It refers to an actor
who gives overly emotional performances on the stage or
screen, or to a person who reacts to criticism or mishaps in
an overly emotional manner. In both cases, the drama
queens suffer from narcissism; from their point of view, “It’s
all about me.”

Upon reading Psalm 88, described as the most mournful of
all psalms, my first thought was that the author was a drama
queen. Placed in the lowest pits, the darkest depths, cast
among the dead? That is prime drama queen material.
Hidden beneath the doom and gloom verbiage, however, is
the suffering of a man caught in sin. He knows that God is
his salvation, and he prays to God for mercy.

The church keeps me from turning into a drama queen.
When I attend services on Sunday morning, or when I teach
Sunday school, I am reminded that is not all about me. It is
about faith and service. It is about Jesus, forgiveness, and
salvation.

It is all about God.


Psalm 88; Genesis 47:1-26; 1 Corinthians 9:16-27;
Mark 6:47-56

These Lenten meditations were written by the people
of St. Barnabas' for the people of St. Barnabas' as part
of our recognition of the 50th anniversary of the founding
of this church. We hope that you will find them helpful
in your own Lenten devotions.