Friday, March 2, 2012

Mark 2:17: Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who
need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the
righteous, but sinners… Those who are well have no need of
a physician. I have come not for the righteous, but for the
sinner.”

In today’s gospel reading, Jesus compares sinners in need of
his healing to those who are physically ill and in need of
medical care. I have often heard our Church described as a
“hospital for sinners.” The idea of going to the hospital
makes me uncomfortable. We only go there when we
recognize that something is really wrong and we need
serious medical attention. Hospital stays can be humbling
experiences. Patients must submit to the care of strangers,
cooperate with the medical team, and have a desire to be
well. Sometimes the results are not favorable and we have to
learn to accept our limitations. I have been thinking about
what all this means in the context of my journey with Jesus.
Sometimes I forget that being a Christian requires humility,
and that following Jesus is not supposed to be a comfortable
experience. Can I accept my sin-sickness and surrender to
Jesus’ offer of healing? Am I willing to be examined and
tested, no matter what the results?

Prayer for today: Gentle Jesus, I pray for the wisdom to
recognize my brokenness and the courage to take your hand
and be healed. Amen.


Psalm 40, 54; Genesis 40:1-23; 1 Corinthians 3:16-23;
Mark 2:13-22

These Lenten meditations were written by the people
of St. Barnabas' for the people of St. Barnabas' as part
of our recognition of the 50th anniversary of the founding
of this church. We hope that you will find them helpful
in your own Lenten devotions.