Sunday, March 11, 2012

As a musician, Psalm 96 has always been one of my
favorites. It wasn’t hard to envision David quietly tending
his sheep, strumming a lyre and using his voice to express
his thoughts. His words were masterful and encompassed his
faith and fears. Through the centuries we have grown to
cherish and repeat those words because they articulated an
inner truth and a relationship with God we aspired to.

Over the years I have said and sung Psalm 96 in many ways,
but have always wondered how I could personally follow
their bidding. How would I be able to offer God something
that is worthy? Something that is new? I would never have
the brilliance of Bach or the eloquence of Palestrina. My
“song” would always seem pale and thin by comparison. It
was only when I realized that I was equating perfection with
worth that I began to understand God does not ask for great
talent, but great love. How many of us have been served
bitter tea and burnt toast offered by tiny, eager hands so
proud of their achievement? It is the love not skill that
makes them valued. Likewise, God accepts our flawed
efforts and adoration as a loving Father. To Him each life is
a new song and each endeavor a joy when presented with
our faith and devotion. Thus, no matter what course our life
may take, we must always offer God our best and there will
be no song more pleasing to His ear.


Psalm 93, 96; Genesis 44:1-17; Romans 8:1-10; John 5:25-29

These Lenten meditations were written by the people
of St. Barnabas' for the people of St. Barnabas' as part
of our recognition of the 50th anniversary of the founding
of this church. We hope that you will find them helpful
in your own Lenten devotions.